Welcome to FJ's special feature on local women-owned businesses! We are thrilled to have joined hands with some inspirational brands and we are so excited to share their stories with you.
What is the name of your business and how long has it been around?
- Almost 5 years.
How did the idea for your business come about?
- A combination of a love of sport and a gravitation towards all things creative led to the establishment of ESJAY
Can you provide us with a description of your business?
- An activewear brand that strives to be more than just sportswear
Who is the person(s) behind your business and what is your background (ie education, work experience, life experience)?
- Sarah Bingham – studied a 4 year honours degree in visual communication design at Stellenbosch University. Started esjay in September of my first year out of varsity.
Do you have a team behind the scenes or are you a one woman show? If you have a team, please share a little with us about them?
- I definitely have a TEAM. I have 6 amazing, super talented seamstress who help with product development and obviously production, Donna Small from double tap studios who handles anything “social media” and my phenomenal mother who is ready to help at any hour of the day (or night).
How has being an entrepreneur affected your family life? How do you balance work and family?
- I don’t have children of my own, but working overtime and weekends does definitely take it’s toll on your relationship. Moving my business out of home definitely helped separate my work and family/friends time
What motivates you?
- I think I am a “people pleaser” – I am not happy until people are happy. So I thiiiink that may motivate me. Positive feedback definitely also keeps me going and thinking that all the behind the scenes is worth it.
How do you define success?
- HAPPINESS! If you are happy, you are winning 😉
What has been your most satisfying moment in business?
- I think employing people and becoming a team.
What is your favourite aspect of being an entrepreneur?
- 100% definitely no one telling me what to do (can you tell I am a 3rd child 😉 ).
What are your future aspirations for this business?
- I am not much of a forward thinker/planner so I have not thought too far ahead. But I would love to make esjay really cool – like the Google HQs 😉
If you had a magic wand, which are the three things you would change in the world?
- No more poverty!
- Equality – gender, sex, EVERYTHING
Facebook Handle: https://www.facebook.com/esjaysports
Instagram Handle: https://www.instagram.com/esjay_sports/
Disclaimer: please note that the views, thoughts, and opinions expressed in the above text belong solely to the author, and not necessarily to the owner of this platform and associated brand.