Welcome to FJ's special feature on local women-owned businesses! We are thrilled to have joined hands with some inspirational brands and we are so excited to share their stories with you.
- What is the name of your business and how long has it been around?
Living Eco – we have been going for 2.5 years
- How did the idea for your business come about?
My business came about from a desire to make a change as well as contribute financially to my family.
- Can you provide us with a description of your business?
Living Eco provides beautiful alternatives to single-use plastic and strives to educate on the harms of plastic to our environment. We hope to encourage people to be conscious consumers and show that being eco friendly can be affordable and sustainable.
- Who is the person(s) behind your business and what is your background (ie education, work experience, life experience)?
I am a 34 year old mom and wife with most of my work experience being in events. I took a gap year in London after school and then completed a diploma in conference and events management. Having worked full time before I had my son, this business started when he started school and I finally had more time on my hands. The dream for us as a family was always for me to work from home and be around as much as possible. I am passionate about everything I take on and am so proud of how this business has grown.
- Do you have a team behind the scenes or are you a one woman show? If you have a team, please share a little with us about them?
I have an incredible lady who assists me daily both in life and my business. Nancy started off as our house keeper, became the most wonderful second mom to my child and now is a huge part of Living Eco. She keeps things running with packaging our products, helping with production of beeswax wraps and is just an all round wonder women.
- How has being an entrepreneur affected your family life? How do you balance work and family?
I think being an entrepreneur has had such a positive impact on our family. Working for myself and being available for my child and husband means everything to me as well as being able to contribute financially. There are times where switching off is hard but the extra hours some days mean less hours the next. There is something so special about starting something from scratch and watching it thrive.
- What motivates you?
I’m motivated by my desire to succeed and to educate people through my business.
- How do you define success?
Success to me is the feeling that I’ve achieved something. Seeing my products being bought and used and ultimately reaching our goal of eradicating a huge percentage of plastic is huge.
- What has been your most satisfying moment in business?
This would definitely be seeing how many people are using our products and making changes in their day to day life.
- What is your favourite aspect of being an entrepreneur?
Working your own hours and in your own time.
- What are your future aspirations for this business?
I hope to grow my online store, educated more people about being eco friendly and to give back.
- If you had a magic wand, which are the three things you would change in the world?
- Our suffering environment
- Covid 19 – (If I could get rid of this, I would) !!!!!